Fat Dog

Fat Dog
She ain't fat, she fluffy

Friday, June 18, 2010

Memories of my Father

This Fathers Day, will be three months to the day that my father passed away. My life turned upside down on March 20th, 2010 at 12:30pm. That is when my father left this earth and went to be with my brother, his parents and brothers and sisters that passed before him. This past week I have been overcome with a multitude of memories. I find myself tearful, joyful and breathless all at once. Tearful for my loss, joyful for the years we had, and breathless as I contemplate my life without my father. I have so many memories. My father was a happy, joyful man who absolutely loved life. He was over the top, spoke his mind always and often, honest, hardworking, quick to anger, but quicker to forgive, opinionated, generous, clumsy, and sweet. His nickname for me was Scooter. Everyone who has been special to me, I call Scooter. Always have, always will. When I was little he would take me with him to the Military Base we were stationed at. I would help him in the office, filing etc. He used to paint my nails and toes and make cakes with me. He even set my hair with pink foam rollers. My mom always teased him that he was really the mother. He would just smile. He went with me to pick out my first prom dress for my 8th grade dance. It was baby blue with a big white portrait collar. He told me I was beautiful. When I moved out to my first apartment, he came over almost everyday to check on me and wash my dishes LOL. He supported me through heartbreak (divorce, death of twin boys), and celebrated in joyous times (birth of my beautiful daughter). He was honest with me and told me when he was dissapointed, but was never harsh or judgemental. He made me laugh every single day. He had some crazy sayings that I find myself using all the time. My favorites are "call me anything you want, just don't call me late to dinner", and "if you sit on a rock you will get piles". Not sure what the heck the second one means, but it makes me giggle and gets some really strange looks when I use it. He loved his family above anything and would defend them to anyone and anything. He never ever met a stranger. I mean he talked to everyone. He knew absolutely nothing about politics, but acted like he knew everything. Hubs says I am the exact same way. He could be brutally honest, but was devastated if he hurt your feelings. He taught me to work hard, keep your nose clean, love your family and friends, be kind to all, and laugh every single day. He is a hard act to follow. Happy Father's Day Daddy. I love and miss you more than you can imagine. I will cry on Sunday, but I promise to laugh also. Because that's what you would have done.

Till we meet again:)

5 comments:

  1. Aww, this is going to be a tough day for you. I'm sure most days are,though. I hoped it helped to write this. I enjoyed hearing about a dad that was loved so much. So sorry for your loss. Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings back memories from 6 years ago, my first Father's Day without my dad.

    I'll be thinking of you on Sunday.

    (If you sit on hard or cold surfaces too long, you're more apt to get hemorhhoids.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such beautiful memories~the day will be bitter sweet for you. But you'll always feel your dad with you. Life may end, but love lives on:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (((hugs)) What an honoring beautiful post...sigh..Thank you so much for sharing this with us, sharing your love and sharing your memories of your father with us...I'm sad for you because your Daddy is not here but I'm also praising God for blessing you with such an awesome father who has truly made is mark on his precious daughter.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, remember that first Father's Day. It made me feel as if "IT" had just happened, though it had been nearly a year for me. You lost your dad so recently. I know it will be all the harder for you.

    I hope that you feel his presence with you tomorrow in a warm and powerful way.

    ReplyDelete